After greater than a yr spent at residence and with spring in full swing, chances are you’ll be feeling the urge to brighten your house with a bit redecorating. Enter rag rugs, flooring covers comprised of scrap materials, that are a straightforward, low-budget craft that may cheer up any room utilizing supplies you in all probability have already got at residence. They’ve the additional advantage of upcycling previous textiles which will in any other case find yourself in landfills.
These rugs are normally made with leftover or worn-out scraps of material, that are crocheted, braided or woven collectively. The crocheting and braiding strategies require some technical data (like the flexibility to crochet or sew), however you’ll be able to simply be taught to weave a rag rug with no prior expertise. By making a fundamental loom out of a giant piece of cardboard and utilizing strips of previous bedsheets or clothes, you may make a rug to your kitchen, rest room or front room very quickly.
Most materials can be utilized to make a rag rug, though it is best to keep on with the identical cloth sort for the complete rug. If desk settings are extra your type, you’ll be able to even scale down the venture to weave place mats or coasters as an alternative.
Make your loom:
1. Minimize vertical notches, one inch aside, alongside the shorter sides of the cardboard, ensuring that they’re aligned. Every notch must be about one-and-a-half inches deep.
Put together your cloth scraps:
1. Begin by slicing the material into strips about one-and-a-half inches large. Minimize the material lengthwise to get the longest strips potential. Make sure to lower off any seams and to trim stray threads.
2. Upon getting a number of strips of material, begin knotting them collectively. A straightforward and safe option to knot the material is to chop a one-inch slit a couple of half-inch from the top of a strip. Repeat with a second strip. Stick the top of the second strip by way of the slit within the different strip in order that it stands proud about three inches. Now seize the tail of the second strip and pull it by way of the slit. Pull each items of material tight to make a knot. Repeat as wanted. (You want two lengthy items of material, maybe in contrasting colours, for the warp and the weft.)
Make your warp:
1. To create the warp, the taut cloth on the loom that you’ll weave by way of, push a strip of material into the primary notch on the cardboard. Go away about six inches of material hanging off the again aspect of the cardboard as a tail.
2. Pull the remaining cloth down the cardboard, and push it into the alternative notch. Wrap across the again aspect of the cardboard, and proceed to the following notch on the cardboard. Repeat till you have got threaded your cloth by way of all the notches. The material must be stretched tight, like guitar strings.
3. Go away a six-inch piece of material hanging off the again aspect of the cardboard as a tail. You’ll have two tails on the again aspect of the cardboard.
1. Go away about three inches of material hanging off the aspect of your loom, then thread your weft, the material you’ll weave by way of the warp, underneath the primary thread of the warp, over the second thread after which underneath the third, repeating the sample. Repeat the method till you have got reached the top of the warp. To maintain your weave tight, push the weft to the highest of the warp threads, so it’s flush towards the cardboard notches.
2. Weave your manner throughout the cardboard in the wrong way and maintain pushing the weft flush to the material above it to maintain the weave tight.
3. Weave your scrap cloth by way of the loom till it’s full. Go away a three-inch-long tail at this finish, then lower your cloth.
1. Take your three-inch tails of material and pull them by way of the loops on the edges of the rug to safe them.
2. Flip the loom over in order that solely the warp threads are exhibiting. Minimize throughout the center of the warp threads, with the intention to take away them from the notches within the cardboard.
3. Take the rug off the loom. Set the rug down rigorously, and beginning at one finish, tie the highest two warp items collectively. Proceed down the aspect of the rug, creating fringe. That is what is going to safe your rug, so take care to make the knots tight.
4. Trim the fringes on both finish of the rug to your required size. Your woven rag rug is full.